Monday, July 5, 2010

Don't Be Ashamed/Embarrassed of Therapy/Counseling/Psychologists

I was talking with a good friend of mine yesterday about everything I've been going through. There was a lull in the conversation after I had gushed out a lot of my thoughts and I sat sort of pondering everything. She asked, after a moment, a little hesitantly, "don't take this the wrong way but have you ever considered counseling?"

"Actually, yes," I replied. "I'm in the process of getting a recommendation from my GP."

"I think that's awesome!" she replied. "The thing about counseling is, it's not the people who are 'messed up in the head' that are getting it, which is what you would think. The people who do counseling are the ones who recognize they have a problem and are taking the responsibility to fix it." She proceeded to tell me about her sister's experiences with counseling and how it had been a really great thing in helping her get from point A to point B.

I thought this was a very liberating attitude to take. While I personally haven't felt terrible about the idea of seeing a therapist, I did feel a little "screwed up." Now, I don't feel that way at all. I feel like a responsible, mature person who is taking control over my life and doing whatever it takes to move forward to a healthier, better me. Too many people, however, don't get counseling or do therapy because they think if you need it, you must be a "psycho" or will, at least, be stigmatized that way. That's unfortunate because it just isn't true that only people with severe mental disorders need help. Life is huge and it can be overwhelming, particularly when we are in the middle of a tough situation. Talking with someone who is outside of the situation and who is knowledgeable about human nature can help you sort everything out, usually much faster than you could on your own. As my friend put it, a counselor can help keep you on track with your progress. There is nothing shameful or "psycho" about that, now is there? So don't be afraid of therapy, it is a valuable tool in becoming a better you. And don't let what other people think about it stop you, either. If someone says, "you're in therapy? What are you, crazy?" you can just explain to them that no, you're not crazy, you're just being mature in dealing with your issues. If they can't accept that, too bad THEY can't be more mature. So if you think you may need help sorting through a breakup or parent issues, DON'T WAIT. Do it. Take charge of your life! Ask your GP or a friend for a recommendation to a good therapist.

1 comment:

  1. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete